Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tips For Attending Bridal Shows

This past weekend my mother and I attended the Indy Bridal Show & Wedding Expo at the Ritz Charles. I had no idea what to expect because this was the first bridal show I had ever been too. I guess I more or less expected it to be like a flea market - a lot of people milling around collecting items and so fourth. However, the atmosphere was totally different than what you get at a flea market and there were some challenges we ran into along the way. 

Here are some tips for you to consider when you go to your first bridal show!

First off, we had a difficult time locating the venue for the show. For some reason, I was under the impression that the Ritz Charles was a hotel - when in fact it is a wedding venue that you can rent out in Carmel, Indiana. It was tucked away in a business building lot off Meridian - the snow and road construction was challenging as well. Anyway, we got there about an hour after the event began and they were PACKED. Not only was the lot almost totally full, but you could hardly walk inside. I would suggest you try to arrive at the show/expo as soon as they open to avoid massive crowds. 

This venue had a coat check and although it was only 15 degrees out and we had to walk clear across the parking lot, I wished about 20 minutes in I would have checked my coat. With that many people milling around it was about 80 degrees in there and I was about to melt into a puddle. Not only was my puffy coat cumbersome, but I also had my massive purse and my professional camera with me. So, I was so weighted down that it was very difficult to move around and take items being passed out. I would suggest you wear a light jacket and brave the cold because the venue will be quite warm if it is crowded. You might want to also opt for a cross-body shoulder bag for ease of moving in a crowd.

Be prepared to answer questions! Every vendor you encounter will ask you if you have a date set, a venue, a caterer, a theme, a photographer, a budget, a head count, etc. Even if that is not what the vendor offers, they will ask you to ascertain if you still need services they do offer. For me, it was hard because we are doing two ceremonies - one this year and one next year. The one this year will only require a cake and photographer, but the one next year will need everything. It was interesting overhearing some conversations between other brides and vendors - most vendors were booked for this year so basically unless you were planning a wedding for the following year, they likely would not be able to help you. I would suggest when you go to these expos and shows that you take a list with you of services or items you do need for your wedding, that way the vendor attendants can better assist you.

Take an extra bag with you for ALL the cards, brochures, flyers, coupons, etc. you will be receiving! We were SO laden down with stuff after the first 15-20 vendors we had to stop to scoop up a bag being handed out by Men's Warehouse to hold all the stuff! In speaking of all the adverts you will receive, keep a pen in hand to write down what you liked or disliked about a particular vendor! We thought about this and had a plan to write down information on the backs of business cards, but we were so overwhelmed so quickly that we forgot to notate some of the cards. This will become a problem if you really liked one vendor and particularly disliked another...I ran into this problem and it is a bit embarrassing. 

One caterer offered a sample of this cheese spread that was to DIE for - oh my it was delicious and I am considering ordering it for my wedding...However, I mixed their card up with another caterer that offered a particularly unappetizing sample. It took me 30 minutes of searching online to figure out who was who by scouring menus. You might also want to make sure you make a notation on things you disliked in case a friend, bridesmaid, or family member eagerly suggests one of those vendors at some point in time so you can quickly say, "you already met with that vendor" and decided against them. No one has to know your "meeting" with that vendor consisted of tasting or viewing a sample at a bridal show. But, showing you have knowledge will create a respectable buffer between you and the person touting a vendor you were not very fond of.  

Be prepared to receive a dozen or more e-mails less than a day after you attend the event from every - single - vendor for which you filled out a raffle ticket or contest. One of the main reasons brides go to these expos is to register to win amazing prizes and contests. I would probably die if I won a free photo shoot, custom invitations, or candy bar station. However, by signing up for these kinds of things you are being added into their mailing list. I did not think about this at all when I gave my "normal" e-mail address instead of giving my "resume" address. The reason why I did not give my lesser used e-mail was because if I did win a prize, I would want to know as soon as possible. I know I would have forgotten to check my alternate e-mails and in doing so, I might have missed out on a prize. I actually did not sign up for any contests for travel prizes for this very reason. In 2011 or 2012, I signed up for a free trip at a hockey game and for over a year they would randomly call my cell phone wanting me to buy a time share or some other damn thing I don't want.

Have a plan in mind of what to tell EVERYONE who offers a service that you either have already booked, cannot afford, do not need, or do not like! This is somewhat of a peeve for me - I do not want to come across as being snooty - or cheap, but remain polite in letting someone down. I know how easy it is at things like expos to upturn your nose at a particular vendor. But, you can just come across as being a total queen bee, and I do not want to come across that way. For example, I love professional flower arrangements but I already know I will not be able to afford them for my wedding. My brother is actually going to grow many of the flowers for me in his backyard, and any supplementary flowers that are needed I will be purchasing from the grocery store. So, when the florists were trying to woo me I quickly said that my wonderful brother, the gardener, would be providing the flowers.

For some reason if you say a family member or close friend will be providing a service, the vendors will drop the subject. Whereas if you "ho-hum" on the subject they will continue their pitch and you may feel uncomfortable. We were cornered by some gentlemen who were trying to peddle live bands and DJs. The music aspect of the wedding I am totally leaving up to my fiance because quite frankly, it is something that is not important to me at all and it is something I know nothing about (acoustics, PA systems, speakers, what?). When I accidentally let it slip that the reason why it was up to my fiance was because we probably could not afford anything fancy, they were quick to produce more literature on their "affordable packages and discounts". I was really at a loss for words, so I felt compelled to discuss music packages with these people as to not be rude - since I did open the door in regards to affordability. You have to think the only reason the vendors are there is to drum up business. The only reasons why I was there was to get ideas, register for prizes, and taste free cake.


The Verdict:

As a bride-to-be I plan on going to EVERY bridal show and expo I possibly can! Why? It is honestly silly not to! Think about it...bridal shows offer prizes for products and services you will likely need for your wedding. So, it's not like you are signing up to win a humungous pig smoker at a Colts game that won't even fit though your fence gate. You are signing up to win things like a $500 engagement photo package, $200 worth of gourmet cupcakes, $1000 towards rings, free tux rentals for the groomsmen, and so on. The prizes offered at bridal shows are good prizes and the odds are in your favor. Unless you are a bride, groom, or mother/father of either party you cannot sign up for prizes. Therefore, the contestant pool is automatically very limited so you really do have a very good chance at winning a prize. It also helps to take your fiance with you! In the sea of women I saw on Sunday, I saw only 3 grooms. But, if you take your man with you, you BOTH can register separately. I am taking my fiance with me to the bridal show happening this Sunday so we can taste cake from a local baker together. If your future husband balks at the idea of going to a wedding expo with you - just mention the free food and cake and he will be all about it! 

To fully take advantage of bridal shows, it is best to start looking at expo schedules right after you get engaged so you can go to as many as possible. Shows provide great booths to glean ideas or determine costs. Expos are also a great way for a couple to start putting together a budget as well if they really do not have an idea of where to start. For me, I was curious about invitations because I was dead set on making my own. However, I did want to know if it would be cheaper to have them made for me - trust me it is cheaper to make your own...Cake was another thing I was in the air about. I am not a big sweets eater and I am not very keen on cake. Well, after consuming the most delicious piece of confectionery I have ever eaten in my life at the bridal show I am rethinking my initial plan - which was to get sheet cakes from Marsh.

Bridal shows and expos are designed to be fun outings for brides, grooms, and their families. So go without a set plan, and plan on spending about 1-2 hours at the expo depending on how many vendors are there. Wear comfortable shoes and breathable fabrics. Have a thought on things you really might need ideas on and know what will be automatic "passes". My automatic passes were on travel and for limo/carriage services because I already knew I would not need these services. Prepare to offer your contact information for things you might want to discuss with a vendor later on and understand you will need to provide e-mail addresses and phone numbers to register for prizes. If you run into an overly enthusiastic vendor, be prepared to say the following:  

And no, none of these are true but it would be funny...

"My brother, the English gardener, will be providing the flowers."
"My father's cousin was related to Ansel Adams and he will be taking our photographs."
"My grandmother worked for MGM and was a consultant with Helen Rose who made Grace Kelly's dress. She will be making mine from antique lace as well."
"We are getting my aunt on loan from Wolfgang Puck to create a massive culinary spread."
"My fiance is a model for Tom Ford couture, so the tuxedos should look okay."
"Sorry, we do not need a limousine, my uncle is flying us to the venue in his helicopter."
"Oh, the bridesmaids will actually be wearing suits and ties and the groomsmen will be in dresses! Won't that be funny!?"
"You know that show Cake Wars? Well one of those shows was done for us to see who would be making the cake."
"We actually will not be serving food on plates. We will be using a slingshot from across the room and people will take turns receiving air delivered appetizers - very avant garde and on trend for 2015."
"The wedding will take place in the lake - not on the lake but actually in it - guests will be seated in inner-tubes"
"We trained 100 carrier pigeons to deliver the invitations to save money on postage."
"We will not need salon services because all the ladies will be wearing Bride of Frankenstein wigs."

 



1 comment: